BRAKES NOT WORKING

1999 Pontiac Sunfire • 154,000 miles

I have a 99 sunfire and the brakes are not working. I have brakes to just one front wheel I replaced the master cylinder and that did nothing so I replaced the abs hydro unit and this did nothing. There are no vacume leaks or problems with the booster
Nightrod187

Hi the hydrolic brake system depends on fluid going to the right places to stop the car. First thing you need to know is there fluid going all the way to the rear brakes. This can be checked by opening a bleeder in the rear and having an assistant push down on the brakes. Fluid at both wheels? If yes remove wheels on rear remove drum have an assistant slowly push the brakes are the wheel cylinders moving outward if yes reinstall drums adjust shoes up. Let me know these answers and we can go from there thanks Billymac

Billymac
No there is not fluid going to any of the wheels except the one front that is getting fluid the pedal is going to the floor and pumping does not help. I drove the car parked it got back in it about 30mins later had no brakes. I replaced the master cylinder and the hydrolic abs unit and still nothing. If you open the bleeders on the abs unit I only have fluid to one port wich is one front and one rear. We also cracked the lines loose at the booster and only have fluid coming out of one line there

Nightrod187
Hi ok what you have is air in the master. Remove the lines from the master. Plug the one that has fluid comeing out of it force the pedal harshly to the floor do this until you have fluid comeing out of both ports at master. Then reconnect to cyl begin bleed process. There is a bleeding process for the abs. But first you need to get fluid from the master.

When you plug the cyl port that has fluid you may have to stomp pedal. Before anything else you have to get fluid out of both ports. If you cannot replace the master even rebuilt cyls can be bad. Please let me know if I can help anymore.

Billymac
The abs unit is attached to the master cyl in this car so how can u force it?

Nightrod187
I apoligize. You need to use a scan tool to bleed this abs system.

Billymac