LINCOLN CONTINENTAL FUEL PUMP PROBLEM

1999 Lincoln Continental • 103,000 miles

I was wondering how to test the Fuel Pump Driver Module. I tested using a volt meter using a mounting bolt for a ground. I had 12v on the White wire and 9v on the Blk/Yel wire for about a 1-2 seconds when the key was turned on and then continuosly while cranking.
Kevinklein

I take it car is not starting, pump is not running? You can remove relay and jumper 12v to pump wire to see if it runs.

Fixitmr
Is there a relay between the Fuel pump driver module in the trunk behind the rear seat and the fuel pump?
I can pull the plug from the FPDM and jump from there if there is not a relay between the FPDM and the pump unless there is a better place to jump 12v from.
Can you tell me which wire to put 12v to?

Kevinklein
Did you get the wiring diagram I sent you?

You need to test the wire to the pump first to verify voltage to the pump with key on for 2 seconds. If there is no voltage, go back to the inertia switch to see if there is voltage there. If not, go back to the relay to see if the relay is sending the signal.

Actually I misread and thought you were talking about relay when you said module. I was giving general advice not vehicle specific. Your car does not have a relay for pump.

Fixitmr
Sorry I did not receive wiring diagram.
I tested the inertia switch and have power.
I tested wiring at the module using a volt meter using a mounting bolt for a ground. I have 12v on the White wire and 9v on the Blk/Yel wire for about a 1-2 seconds when the key was turned on and then continuosly while cranking.
I do not know if these are the correct wires or not.

Kevinklein
Should be 12 volts to the pump.

If that is the case, I would replace both the module and the fuel pump as the pump may have caused the module to fail from excessive draw.

I saw a wiring diagram on this site
http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1998-lincoln-continental-98-cotinental-fuel-pump-wiring-diagram
for a 1998 continental and it shows that the wht/red wire and the blk/yel wire are for the fuel pump. Should the wht/red wire have power. I tested it and there is no power to this wire only the blk/yel has power and the solid white wire has power which I assume is the power supply to the module.

Kevinklein
White is power to the module. White/red is the return from the pump or the module grounds the pump to turn it on and off. If there is 0 volts, it is grounded. Any voltage means it is not grounded. Thus indicating an issue.

So it looks like I definitely need to replace the fuel pump.
Is that correct?

Kevinklein
I'd test it to make sure it's the problem. And I read that thread and it seems the pump or line pressure is adjustable by the module? Says only proper diagnosis is an expensive scan tool. But if pump dont respond to direct voltage you apply as test then yup. You saved some money?

Fixitmr