DRIVESHAFT CONNECTION

1999 GMC Sierra • V8 4WD Automatic • 250,000 miles

My driveshaft fell off while in use, the rear u-joint cross snapped and still has broken peice on driveshaft and the other broken peice is on the flange on differential. How do I check oil in transmission/transfer case and what do I look for in the rear differential. After the the shaft fell of, I drove the truck home using 4 x 4 front basically carrying truck
Bob502

There is a plug on the transfer case facing the rear. Lower one drains and upper one is the fill. It is a 15/16 wrench size
trans has a dipstick under the hood.
The rear has a plug that uses a 3/8 drive end.

DIFFERENT FELLER

SORTA WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "WHAT DO I LOOK FOR IN THE REAR DIFF"?

FLUID, OR WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE H. ELL DAMAGE. MUSTA BEEN SOME BI-TIME TORQUE, UNLESS THE "+" PART AND CAPS WERE WORN OUT. YOU BROKE THE "+" OR THE YOKE?

CAN YOU SEND A GOOD PIC(S)?

It is the " + " that snapped and that peice of the cross is still on the rear drive shaft and the other peice is still connectd to the rear differential pinion flange, and leakage is shown coming from the location of pinion flange. Also, do I have to reinstall the whole driveshaft so the rear broken " + " will line up with other broken peice on the pinion before I make the markings.

Bob502
I believe the + you are refering to is the universal joint. That is a replaceable part. Using a hammer, tap the broken parts from both the drive shaft and the pinion. For directions to replace it, go to our home page under the DIY section. It isn't hard to do. However, if the pinion seal is leaking, thta requires more work. You need to remove the pinion shaft which requires the differential to be taken apart. Note, it is common for them to seep a little as they get older. If it isn't a bad leak and the differential fluid is still full, I wouldn't too concerned about it.

Let me know if you have other questions.