1999 Chevrolet Malibu • 188,000 miles

Replaced the thermostat, accidentally touched the positive battery cable "spark" Now the car won't start, it turns over but the dash lights dim during cranking but won't start. Put a charger on the battery, still won't start, pulled out a spark plug and I think it didn't spark.
Was thinking about having alternator and batter checked at auto parts store, checked the fuses in and under the hood, nothing blown. What am I missing?
December 7, 2012.

Its a 3.1L, and before this mess, we have an EGR valve failure code, replaced it with a used one but it still doesn't work, I just don't want to spend that 100 unless the car won't run!

Dec 7, 2012.
May have messed up anti-theft so try this turn key on THeft should illuminate if so it will start flashing for about 10 mins when it goes out turn key to off then try and start

Dec 7, 2012.
The anti-theft light turned off when the key went in - I actually left the key in the on position for 20 minutes but it killed the battery. Taking that in to be checked today and checked the coils, they are all within range.