MY TOWNCAR STOPPED STARTING?!

1998 Lincoln Town Car • 147 miles

When I put the key in and turn it a few of the items on the gauge cluster work but the car will not start, also there is a clicking noise coming from the ecu area?
Jessebknapp

Check for spark and fuel pressure.

Rivermikerat
The fuel gauge works. There is a clicking noise coming from the ECU

Jessebknapp
What is the security light on your dash doing? Turn key on, it should say on for 2-3 seconds, then go out, 98's had an issue with the instrument cluster and the PCM, a wiring kit is installed to solve it.

Merlin2021
4.6L - INTERMITTENT OR CONTINUOUS CRANK/NO START
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 98-17-7, Date of Issue: September 1, 1998
Related Ref Number(s): 98-17-7
ARTICLE BEGINNING
CONDITIONS
CRANK - INTERMITTENT OR CONTINUOUS - VEHICLES WITH 4.6L ENGINE
NO START - INTERMITTENT OR CONTINUOUS - VEHICLES WITH 4.6L ENGINE
APPLICATIONS
Model(s): Lincoln-Mercury: 1998 Town Car
Bulletin No: 98-17-7
Date: September 1, 1998
ISSUE
An intermittent or continuous crank/no start condition may occur on some vehicles. This may be
caused by a timing delay between the powering of the Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) transceiver
and the Hybrid Electronic Cluster (HEC) when the key is turned to the "on" position.
ACTION
Install updated components based upon vehicle build date. Use the following SERVICE
PROCEDURES to determine the appropriate repair action based on the vehicle build date and
symptoms.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
SERVICE ACTION INFORMATION
PROCEDURE 1
Build Date Diagnostic Trouble Codes
(DTCs)
Action Step To Take
Job #1 to 2/9/98 (U.S.
Vehicles) And Job #1 to
2/21/98 (Canadian vehicles)
B161 Install Harness Kit per Step 1
From 2/20/98 to 4/30/98 B122 (B1681 and/or B1600
may also be present)
Replace Transceiver Module
per Step 2
4.6L - INTERMITTENT OR CONTINUOUS CRANK/NO START -1998 Lincoln  Intermittent no start
 Theft indicator at top of instrument panel flashing during the crank/no start event
 Fault code B1681 (PATS Transceiver Signal is not received) in HEC
PROCEDURE
1. Follow Pinpoint Test B1681 in Section 419-01 of the 1998 Town Car Workshop Manual.
2. If the Pinpoint Test fails to identify the cause for the no start, install the Jumper Harness kit
(F8VZ-15K607-AA). Installation instructions are included with the kit.
PROCEDURE 2
SYMPTOMS
 Intermittent or continuous no start
 Theft indicator at top of instrument panel flashing during the event
 Fault code B1232 (defective transceiver) in HEC, fault codes B1681 and/or B1600 (PATS
ignition key transponder signal not received) may also be present
PROCEDURE
1. Replace the Transceiver Module (F8SZ-15607-AA). Refer to the 1998 Town Car Workshop
Manual, Page 419-01-43, for procedure.
2. If none of the above symptoms or codes are present, continue with normal diagnosis by
symptom. Refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Service Manual.
The Jumper Kit (F8VZ-15K607-AA) contains the following:  One (1) Jumper
 Three (3) Push Pins
 One (1) Tie Strap
 One (1) Instruction Sheet
PARTS INFORMATION
PARTS INFORMATION
WARRANTY INFORMATION
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage.
Part Number Part Name
F8VZ-15K607-AA Jumper Harness Kit
F8SZ-15607-AA Transceiver Module
4.6L - INTERMITTENT OR CONTINUOUS CRANK/NO START -1998 Lincoln OPERATION: 981707A
DESCRIPTION: Install Jumper Harness Kit
TIME: 0.4 Hr.
OPERATION: 981707B
DESCRIPTION: Install Transceiver Module
TIME: 0.8 Hr.
DEALER CODING: BASIC PART NO: 15607
CONDITION CODE: 42
OASIS CODES: 112000, 603300

Merlin2021
I just went out and checked the light: If I turn the key one position forward it continuosely blinks every few seconds (not a fast blink). If I turn the key two positions forward the light doesnt do anything. Also if I turn the key backwards I recieve the same type of blinking as if I turned it to the 1st position I explained. Reading the response you gave me I think it may be the transciever module. Any comments on that? And also if it is. Is this something I could do on my own?

Jessebknapp
Not unless you have the Ford super star tester to progam the new module into your car. When you say the light doesnt do anything, I need to know if when the key is out of the ignition, it blinks ever 2-3 seconds, then what it does when the key is turned to the run(on) position.

Merlin2021
Also, does it crank or not?

Merlin2021
Hey merlin2021, thx for all your help. I just checked it and when the key is out of the ignition the light has the same blinking pattern as I mentioned before (every few seconds continuosly). And no it does not crank.A few times when I turn the key all the way as if I was cranking it I have heard a few different noises from under the steering wheel area.

Jessebknapp
Check the battery and cables, Town Cars need at least 12v in the battery to crank even 11.6 wont do it. Also check ignition and PCM fuses. With key in the run(on) position the light shoud stay on steady for 2-3 seconds, then go out, then it can start. If the light does anything elese tell me.

Merlin2021
WoW! Thank you! : ) I looked closer at the battery terminals and tthey were very corroded so I went to Advance and got some new ones put them on and she started rite up! Thank you so much merlin2021! You saved me a lot of money! God bless you and Merry Christmas!

Jessebknapp
Page 1 of 2