DODGE AVENGER STARTER PROBLEM

1998 Dodge Avenger • 293,000 miles

I drove the car friday nite without any problems. I go to start the car saturday, and it wont turn over. Everything has power- the lights, the radio, etc. It seems like there isnt any pwer getting to the engine

Do you hear any light clicking under the hood from the starter relay, or do you hear a single rather loud clunk each time you turn the ignition switch to "crank"?

For a loud clunk, keep trying it until it cranks, which it will, ... Eventually. There's a simple repair for that. If the starter relay doesn't click, suspect the neutral safety switch. Try starting it in neutral instead of park. We can split the circuit into four parts and do all the preliminary testing right in the starter relay socket.

Measure the battery voltage too. It should be 12.6 volts. If it's 12.2 volts, it's good but discharged. Closer to 11 volts means it has a shorted cell and must be replaced.