'97 TEMPERATURE SPIKES

1997 Lincoln Continental • V8 FWD Automatic • 68,500 miles

Continental is approaching 98K miles 4.6L V8. About 5k miles ago I put in a new water pump(not reman/reblt. Purged air from cooling systen and it has been fine since until now. I only have second hand info from my son who is 800 miles away with the car for the summer in alabama heat which has been running over 100 degrees daily for a week or more. Yesterday he called when a warning came up on the info system that it was getting too hot. He was on his way home so I had him stop & get a gallon of coolant before he got home. This morning the "bottle" had fluid in it but I had him uncork the filler tube and add coolant there until it was back filling the "bottle" and overflowing the tube. He took it on a short drive and watched the guage. It spiked a couple of times to hot particularly at traffic lights, but came back down into the normal range each time. Turning on the heat & fan helps too(fun at 100 degrees. Worse with AC on. Should I suspect the thermostat? Cooling fans and or relays?
I need to advise him before he looks for someone to fix it and it needs to be fixed long before he makes the trip back here.
Snosaint

Thermostat could be overdue for replacement -check/test it, airlock in the system that needs bleeding out, cooling fans not coming on -On time-start here and let me know

I need to know if there are fuses and/or relays for the cooling fans. It seems to be under control until he turns on the AC, then the guage just climbs to hot quickly.

Snosaint
When you turn the AC On-are both fans in operation

Niether of the cooling fans comes on when the A/C is switched on. There are 2 60 amp fuses in the high current fuse box and both were pulled out and look "good" as I have been told. What else/where else do we look. No mention of a relay in the owners manual. I am 850 miles from car and depending on others to be my eyes.

Snosaint
Check/Test the no.2 60 amp in the power distribution box and PCM power relay if both okay have the computer checked further

Melted connector @ groung on one of the fans. All working great now. When searching for solutions I had read that someone else had a similar issue. Thanks for your help

Snosaint
Melted connector or fans still a problem. Next day fans not coming on again. I wonder if the fans are shot, but why both at same exact time. Is it time to go to auto electric place?

Snosaint
My some swears the crossmember over the radiator is a bolt in. I took a look at a 98 continental and it is not. If it were bolt in, it would be easy to take out the fans assembly. I think there is alot more to it.

Snosaint
Bring it in and have the pro look at it