XLT 4.0 SOHC HARD START. CRANKS EVERY TIME, STARTS AFTER THE 7TH OR 8TH TIME. ONCE STARTED, IT CHUGS. TURN IT OFF AND GET IT TO START AGAIN AND SEEMS TO RUN FINE AFTER IT WARMS UP. ONCE IN AWHILE IF I GO BEFORE IT IS WARM, IT SEEMS LIKE

1997 Ford Explorer • 160,000 miles

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC hard start. Cranks every time, starts after the 7th or 8th time. Once started, it chugs. Turn it off and get it to start again and seems to run fine after it warms up. Once in awhile if I go before it is warm, it seems like there is a weird shift in tranny. It will go into next gear, then back down and back into that gear again. When it shifts that way, it is immediate that it goes in, drops back to lower gear and back into higher gear. There is no lack of shifting either way. No grinding or sincro issues that I can hear. I didn't have the starting or tranny issue until a week ago when I had my thermostat housing and Temp sensors replaced. What could they have hit and knocked loose, or broke in the process of loosening intake to get to sensors and therm housing? I (myself) replaced the $283 air inlet hose because I thought that was it, but still does the same. They ripped it in the process and never said a word about taping it up. That is the reason I replaced it. My check engine light has been on since therm housing repair. I went to Advance Auto parts and had them check the code, and one of the sensors that I just paid to replace is bad, or the wrong one. No other code is being thrown. At this point, I will replace that sensor myself so this dingbat mechanic doesn't cause anymore damage to my truck.
Scribbledcanvas

What trouble code are you getting?

I don't know what the exact code is, but I seen it on the computer at Advanced Auto. Is said Temperature send sensor bad.

Scribbledcanvas
Also, the RPM's were at exactly 1000 prior to the therm housing being changed. When I picked my truck up, it was dead set on 500, and has idled there once warm since.

Scribbledcanvas
Have the coolant temperature sensor checked and tested could be out of specifications

That is one of the 2 that were just replaced. They actually replaced that one 2 times. Would it make that much difference in how my truck starts? Could and why would that lessen my idle rpms?

Scribbledcanvas
Clean the idle air control valve and also the MAF sensor with an electronic cleaner called CRC and see what happens

I will get it tomorrow and try it. Will let you know.

Scribbledcanvas
The ECT is an important sensor for engine performance as the wrong reading can result in the engine computer sending the wrong command to the fuel injectors.

Get another scan done and get the exact trouble code for me. Since parts had beed replaced, codes might change if other problems are causing it.

I just got home from having the code checked. It is P0117. Coolant temp sensor 1 circuit. I had them show me the part that would be replaced, and it is one of the sensors that was replaced less than 2 weeks ago, but not the one that was replaced 2 times. This is the one that goes to the computer I assume because of the issues with the truck. How does one go about replacing this without ripping it all apart? I would have to loosen the intake manifold, the upper radiator hose, the air intake, and probably the top of the therm housing. Is there an easier way?

Scribbledcanvas
Is that an ignition part?

Scribbledcanvas
Page 1 of 5