HEATER

1997 Ford Explorer • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 150,000 miles

The heat doesn't work, I changed the thermostat and still doesn't work. But the 2 hoses going to fire wall are hot but the blower throw only cold air? My question is what should I do now?
Melymat

You may have to check the directional doors/actuators under the dash.

You can do a self-test for some hvac codes.

The self test will help you if you have an Auto temp control system but not if yours is manual.

Your going to have to access the blend door actuator under the dash to see if it's working or if the door may be jammed.

Here is a TSB about a problem they were having with that vehicle.

Article No.
98-23-20

11/23/98
FORD: 1997-98 CROWN VICTORIA, TAURUS

LINCOLN-MERCURY: 1997 TOWN CAR
1997-98 CONTINENTAL, GRAND MARQUIS, SABLE

LIGHT TRUCK: 1997-98 EXPLORER, MOUNTAINEER

This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to remove reference to the 1998 Town Car.
ISSUE
Some vehicles with a very low odometer reading may experience a lack of temperature control. This may be caused by the incorrect blend air door actuator being installed during the manufacturing process.

ACTION
Install the correct blend air door actuator. Refer to the following text and Actuator Chart to determine if the correct blend air door actuator is installed on the vehicle.

Vehicles which are equipped with manual and Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) use different actuators. The actuators are marked "MAN" for manual and "EATC" or "ATC" for EATC systems. These markings are found on the part number sticker on the actuator.

1998 actuators differ from 1997 actuators on some vehicles (Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis, Continental, Explorer/Mountaineer) and are not interchangeable. Installation of the wrong actuator can cause potentiometer failure on manual systems, and no temperature control for both manual and EATC systems, as well as Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 24 or 25 on EATC systems.

Wrenchtech