CRANK BUT NO START

1996 Volvo 850 • 4 cylinder Automatic • 133,000 miles

I have a 96 Volvo 850 2.3 turbo, I had a bad alternator and after replacing the car wont start it cranks fine but wont start it has fuel to the fuelrail but doesn't seem to have spark the battery did die does something need to be reset?
DonnyMc

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Wrenchtech
I checked fuel its good I checked spark from the coil(didn't have a spark checker I used a screw driver) didn't seem to have spark. It did run and would start before the alt. Went bad and killed the battery it could be jumped but when cables were removed it would die. So the alt was removed tested and replaced. Now after batt was charged it cranks but wont start.I know GM but not really volvo control systems.

DonnyMc
Finish the rest of the tests and post them here including exact fuel pressure.

Wrenchtech