TROUBLE STARTING IN THE MORNING WHEN ITS COLD OUT SIDE

1996 Saturn SW1 • 76,787 miles

Try starting car when it cold have to crank on it a few times before it will start.
Richard touchstone

Start with checking fuel pump pressure. Directions are on our homepage under the DIY section.

It only dose it when it cool out do not have that problem when the weather is warm.

Richard touchstone
There is a temp sensor that is designed to tell the computer both ambient temps and coolant temps. From that, the computer determines how rich or lean to make the fuel mixture for cold starts.

Where is this temp sensor located?

Richard touchstone
Just to add to this one I would go for the coolant temp sensor its so common on that car for them to go bad and cause all kinds of symptoms.I would also inspect the connector to it really common for them to get corroded from the coolant temp sensor leaking coolant into them. If the terminals are green or blue instead of silver inside the coolant temp sensor connector replace the connector also.

The sensor is screwed into the head right bellow where the upper radiator hose goes on. It has two wires going to it a black wire and a yellow wire.

Saturntech9: I was hoping you would jump in on this one. Do you feel confident it is the sensor? That is what I was thinking.

PS: By the way, richard touchstone, Saturntech9 is the best we have dealing with Saturns. He knows his stuff.

Yes I think its the coolant temp sensor and possibly the coolant temp sensor connector.

Thanks for the plug jacoband nickolas.

Page 1 of 2