TEMP GAGE SAYS IT'S OVERHEATING WHILE IDLE BUT THERE IS COOLANT

1996 Pontiac Grand Am • 12,000 miles

Last weekend my daughter's radiator tank was empty and started smoking so I added coolant. Since then the car has set pretty much for a week. She drove it home this weekend about a hour and a half drive she said when she got to town and had to idle at red lights the temp gage went to hot. I checked the car this morning completly cool and the tank is still full. Any suggestions? I will check the fan to see if it's working since I haven't done that yet but didn't know if there is something else I need to look for.

Also, she says she noticed when she goes about 70mph her speedometer doesn't work right.

Any help and suggestions would be grealty appreciated!
ADK313

You drove it an hour and a half with a coolant leak? You may have already done internal damage from doing that but you need to have the system pressure tested to determiner where the coolant went.

Wrenchtech