STALLING

1995 Nissan Altima • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 84,000 miles

Car runs great at idle. Stalls when gas is applied.
Bmbaker2k5

Is the check engine light on? Have you checked fuel pump pressure?

Check engine light is not on. Have no way of checking fuel pump pressure

Bmbaker2k5
Not sure where you are located. However, if there is a nationally recognized parts store near by, they can lend you the fuel pressure gauge needed to test the pressure. I can provide directions and a video. Any interest?

Yes. Please. We want to sell the cat but I would like to get it running properly beforehand.

Bmbaker2k5
Here is the video which is general for all fuel injected vehicles.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/fuel-pump-pressure-and-regulator-test-video-all-cars

Here are the written directions for checking fuel pump pressure as well as the fuel pressure regulator.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

As you do this, let me know if you have questions or run into trouble. I'll do my best to help.

As far as getting the gauge, most parts stores lend them. What they do is charge you for the tool and then refund the money when the tool is returned.

I hope this helps. Since the check engine light isn't on, that leads me to believe there is an issue with the fuel pressure from the pump. If the light was on, there could be several other causes which can be determined by having the computer scanned.

When the vehicle first stalled out I immediately changed the fuel filter because I've run into this issue with other vehicles. But since that didn't help I have since just left it sitting

Bmbaker2k5
You know, I was thinking. Before you go to all the trouble and work to see if the pump is working, try this. See if the engine will start using starting fluid. If it starts for a couple seconds and then shuts off, the problem is fuel related. If it doesn't start with starting fluid, we then have an ignition issue.

Do that and let me know what you find. Sorry I didn't think of that earlier.

How do I go about doing that?

Bmbaker2k5
Go to any parts store and tell them you need a can of starting fluid. Basically, all you do is open the throttle plate on the throttle body and spray a few shots of fluid into it and try to start it. Just make sure to follow directions that are on the can of the product.

The only thing you will need to remove is the air induction tube between the air filter box and the throttle body. It's an easy test. If you are concerned, ask one of the people at the parts store to show you on a vehicle in the lot where the throttle body is, the air induction tube. And how to do it.

If you run into trouble, I'll be here. It may not be on line at the time you email me, but I am on every day, so it won't take too long to get back with you.