GREETINGS! I BOUGHT A '94 XLT 4X4. IT HAS 125,000 MILES. GOT ON THE FREEWWAY, EXCELLERATING NORMALLY, HAD A HARD TIME PUSHING PAST 65. WHEN I HIT A SLIGHT DECLINE, I GOT TO ABOUT 76. BUT WHEN GOING BAC UPHILL, I WENT BACK DOWN TO 65 AND COULDN'T GET

1994 Ford Explorer • 12,500 miles

Greetings! I bought a '94 Ford XLT 4x4. It has 125,000 miles. Got on the freewway, excellerating normally, had a hard time pushing past 65. When I hit a slight decline, I got to about 76. But when going bac uphill, I went back down to 65 and couldn't get past it no mater how much I pushed on the gas petal. When I pushed it all the way to the floor the RPMs went up to 3 then dropped under 2 and I started to slow down dramatically. Almost as if the engine turned off. I released the gas and coasted for about 5 seconds then eased the gas. I started to speed up but nothingpast 60, until I started driving downhil at a slight decline.
What do you think the problem is, and what is causing it?
Mikilan

If the check engine light is on or the OD light, have the computer scanned to identify trouble codes. The idea that the RPM's drop, almost sounds like the trans is slipping.