COLD START ISSUE

1993 Volvo 850 • 5 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 240,000 miles

Can anyone tell me what the fuel pressure should be before start-up & if it is supposed to increase or decrease after start up. I am reading around 43psi before start-up & around 40psi while running.
Thank you in advance!
1989hawkgt

Fuel pressure good is there a running problem?

Docfixit
Car will not start up if under 60 degrees, tries to start then dies. Seems like no fuel enrichment. If over 60 degrees & engine is cold there is no fast idle drops right to 700/800 rpms.

1989hawkgt
Most likely faulty coolant temp sensor not signaling ECM off cold engine and not riching fuel mix

Docfixit
That was my initial thought. I just replaced it yesterday

1989hawkgt
So did it help? Have tried a good fuel system cleaner?

Docfixit
To your 1st? No, replacing the coolant temp sensor did not help. Engine will eventually run & it does drive, just hard to get started if outside temp is low. At first try idle jumps to around 1800 rpm then dies. If you wait 20 seconds or so it will do the same thing over & over again until the heads get some heat then it will keep running & drive fine. I guess some fuel injector cleaner couldn't hurt but just doesn't seem to be what's causing the problem.

1989hawkgt
Has Idle air controler been removed and cleaned? Has MAF been cleaned?

Docfixit
I will clean IAC. It seems to move freely. Mass airflow sensor has also been replaced. I can't get to it right now due to pouring rain but I will get to it asap. Anything else you can thing of would be appreciated & I will tackle them one at a time. Thanks & you assistance is greatly appreciated. I am trying to fix this for an elderly couple whom don't have any extra money to get it fixed. I am paying for parts myself. Thanks again!

1989hawkgt
Have tried diagnostic test unit for possible codes?

Docfixit
Don't know of anyone whom has a tester for that old of a car. I see there is a DLC in front of the computers, how is that used. Looks like a place to test several different functions.

1989hawkgt
Page 1 of 3