ENGINE CUTTING OUT

1993 Mazda Protege • 4 cylinder FWD Manual •

I have a 93 Mazda Protege. Thought it was missing because it needed a tune up. Did the tune up, changed the fuel filter and it is still cutting out. When it cuts out the check engine light flashes, it hasn't died, and it happens when you begin to accelerate or if you are going up a a hill and rpms drop a little under a load. It just started having a little smell of coolant and the windows fog up some. I hate the thought of head gasket problems. Been there. Would it cut out like that if it is head gasket? Or any other ideas.
Hansonmaureena

Coolant smell means there is a leak somwhere. If it is inside the cabin, the heater core could be the cause.

Get a pressure test performed to locate for leakages. If it is a head gasket problem, the recovery tank would be increasing in level whereas the radiator side would be depleting.

When the MIL indicates, it means an error hads been detected and you need to retrieve the trouble code to find out what is causing it. The trouble code would enable us to know if it is related to the misfiring.