NO START

1991 Ford Festiva • 4 cylinder FWD Manual •

Have a 91 ford festiva, ran great before the cold wheather hit, went to start it, and it would turn over, but will not start
SIRLOTSOFLOVIN

Begin your diagnosis in this order: 1) Ignition
2) Fuel
3) Compression
4) Computer/sensors

Remember to start at the source of each system and work your way to the end one component at a time. If you need answers to specific procedures let me know.

Ernest Clark
It has spark, it has fuel, problem started after below 0 cold weather, for 2 days, now it wont start, will a coil, still throw a spark if bad

SIRLOTSOFLOVIN
Depends on the level of failure. A weak coil may give a spark but not be strong enough for sustained operation. But don't jump around with your diagnosis. Test the engine in the logical order I described until you find the problem. Playing a guessing game will cost you more time and money.

Also, you must be specific with your questions in order for me to help you. Just because there's "Spark" doesn't mean all cylinders have spark or that the spark timing is correct. If you did a complete and thorough check of the ignition system, then I have to know this. I get a lot of questions and I can't guess as to what someone has done or didn't do.

Also, you said you have "Fuel", but you didn't say what you did to determine this. Did you do a fuel pressure test? If so, was it while the engine was cranking or just with the key in the "On" position. And if there is good fuel pressure, that doesn't mean the injectors are giving it to the engine. Did you also check the fuel injectors for firing and spray pattern?

What ever you did during your diagnosis, I need to know in order to narrow things down.

Ernest Clark
Thank-you, ill do a more thourall diagnosis, I dont know how to check injecters, but I smell fuel, after trying to start it, thye coil is throwing a vred spark, I was told thats most likly the problem, like I said in beginning, it ran great before the cold spell, timing belt is not broke, I have to check the fuel pressure now, have any remarks about the red spark comming from coil also put new spark plugs in it, just because they were originals, lol

SIRLOTSOFLOVIN
I've never seen a red spark. The spark should be a white/blue and bright. If you need anymore help let me know

Ernest Clark