I AM HAVING TROUBLE SETTING THE TIME/FUEL MIXTURE/ECT.

1989 Ford Mustang

My vehicle sat for a number of years and I am now in the process of getting it running again. I had it running decently for a few months but now I cant get it to start or run right. It starts up great between 35 and 45 degrees advance timing but once running tries to die out on me and immediately dies if I put it in gear. It will run fine between 5 and 20 degrees advance timing but if I try to start it at that timing I feel it popping in the exhaust and doesn't want to start up. Sometimes it will stay running in gear at that setting but its hit and miss and always tries to die even if it stays running. I have an extreme case of lack of power in the rare event that I can get it to move itself. I have so far attempted to set the timing followed by replacing the distributor, checking the timing chain (and replacing the timing cover gasket), replaced Cap and Rotor as well as plugs and wires. Found white residue on 2 plugs so changes head gaskets, and intake manifold gaskets. There is also a very strong smell of fuel but I cannot seem to reduce that no matter how much I attempt to adjust my fuel. The problem persists after all of this and I am at a loss as to what else it could be. The engine is Carbureted using a Holley Street Avenger 4 Barrel carb and all of my vacuum lines seem to be in good shape and have suction. I appreciate any help you can give me!
Cryha

Verify the valve and ignition timing are correct -start here

I am not sure how I would check the valve timing but when I replaced the head gaskets they seem to be functioning correctly. The engine runs fine with ignition timing set between 5 and 20 degrees advance (should be set at 10 degrees) but will not start or if it starts barely runs, but starts up great at 35-45 degrees advance but after a minute of running begins to die out. Also neither setting will run once I put the vehicle in gear.

Cryha
Did you mark the distributor before you replaced it? If not check the valve timing get someone with experience

Yes I marked the distributor and set it back correctly.

Cryha
When you replaced the headgasket did you put no.1 piston on its compression/TDC and align the cam and crank markings to its position as indicated in the repair manual?

Since everything was already aligned and I didn't remove the cam or change it in any way and I had already verified the timing gear alignment I didn't mess with putting the no.1 cylinder at tdc but I marked all my locations such as the distributor location ect. And put everything back the way it was when I removed the heads. I was having this problem prior to beginning any of the work listed in my first post and all of these steps have been attempts to fix this problem.

Cryha
Double check valve timing you might be 180deg off

How would I tell for certain if its 180 out? From my understand the cylinder will hit TDC twice per firing cycle (one at 0 and the other at 180).

Cryha
When the engine no.1 piston is at the compression stroke/TDC the piston should be all the way up and both valves are closed and rotor pointing at no.1 cap tower-

It takes 720degs to complete the firing sequences