TIMING QUESTION

2007 Ford Mustang • 80,000 miles

Just replaced the heads on n 07 mustang 4.0 sohc, without removing the engine. Need to set timing now. Can this be done without the cam alignment tools from OTC? If not can you give me exact procedure to set the timing as well as torque specifications for sprocket bolts and chain tensioners?
Rickt

Unfortunately the timing procedure can only be carried out with the special alignment tools either from ford or OTC. The reason for this is because Ford designed this engine without keyways on the camshafts or crank and without alignment marks as well. The special tools provide stopping points for the crankshaft and cams holding them in the correct position for timing chain installation. This is an interference engine which means cranking it without the engine in time could result in valve or even piston damage. I wouldn't even attempt this job without the special tools. Wish I had better news for you, but this is Fords fault.

Marv-Ellis
I was afraid of that. I'm gonna get tool kit but still not sure of exact procedure even with the tools. I would really appreciate it if u could explain procedure. Thnx.

Rickt
It is a long procedure. The camshaft tools fit into slots on the camshafts holding them in place. On most engines, there is a plug on the side of the engine block that is removed so that the crank tool can be inserted, and the crank can be locked into position. Let me know when you get the tools, and I will try to find illustrations for you.

Marv-Ellis