TIMING/TUNING PROBLEM WITH A

1980 Jeep CJ7 • V8 • 150,000 miles

1980 CJ7; distributor replaced; cylinder #1 TDC found, timing notch alligned with TDC; assured distributor finger points to sparkplug #1 cable; timing gun advanced to +8 degrees; at 700 RPM notch alligned with TDC; removing the vacuum cable advances the notch by 5 degrees; increasing RPMs advances the notch quite well. All done at normal operating temperature.

But: when I start the car cold, it starts idling at 100 RPMs or less, slowly advances, overshoots, slowly comes back, but driving the first 5-10 minutes, there is hole you fall into when you step on the accelerator with the car stalling.

I just checked timing again: same as above
Koebes

Snow messing me up---8th attempt to send this!---Saved info in "PICTURES"---tired of retyping (hunt and pecking) it everytime!

Let's try this again----SEE PIC!

Maybe It will work this time and thereafter!

"JPEG" is not my friend either!

Not working---back to hunt and peck, with Printer copy of my 4th attempt. Do not have to recompose this time!

I think I've dealt with you before!

You sure you want some Southern, Military, Country Feller Assistance?

Go back to TDC---Plugged and at correct RPM

From this point move the distributor COUNTER-CLOCKWISE---this will throw you toward BTDC

I think that will be downward on your scale, your scale is on the passenger side of the engine.

On your scale "A" is advance or BTDC

."R" is retard or ATDC

If your Submitted info is correct---You should set timing to 8 DEGREES BTDCat 700 RPM (manual tranny)vacuum plugged

If your Initial "GOLDEN BOY" setting is not where I just instructed you to put it.

YOU WERE WRONG!

GET DOWN!----25 Elevated Airborne Ranger Push-ups

If you find a FLAW with my instructions (there could be)---

I WILL GIVE YOU 50!

Vacuum hooked back up?

700 RPM

Problem now--If any?

GOOD OR NOT?

We got more to do for a tune-up

Your Turn

The Medic

I would like to know which engine you have in your jeep. What did you connect the vacuum advace vacuum line to to get it to advance when disconnecting it, it should retard when you disconnect the vacuum line. Is the vacuum advaced connected to manifold or ported vacuum, meaning constant vacuum (manifold) or vacuum only when you lift the throttle a bit (ported). Get back to me with what you can and we will go from there.

Racefan966
Okay, here is what happened: when we cranked the harmonizing balancer towards TDC of cylinder#1, my son stopped at +5 degrees, aftraid to overshoot, and assuming with the timing gun we would get the advance right anyway. He kept the timing gun at 0 degrees, using the **** only to see whether we had to advance or retard by what degrees. He set it at + 8 degrees.

Now we could not clamp down the distributor tight enough; so using a long ruler I marked the position of the vacuum nob with 2 marks in front and behind, and the same with the distributor finger. Once I put the new distributor in, the distributor finger did NOT point exactly where the previous one pointed to, but was advanced clockwise by maybe 3-4 degrees. Distributor cap attached, vacuum hose not attached, car started at by moving the distributor cap and the timing light set at +8 degrees I positioned the timing notch right at TDC.

That's where we are.
Now what you want me to do?
BTW, my timing marks are different than the ones you find in the manual for a 304; there you have TDC in the middle and the degrees of A and R on each side; mine is the one described in the original manual: TDC is at the top and the degrees counterclockwise 5, A10, 15 and (I assume 20; barely identfiable in that narrow triangular opening.

Still unclear what you want me to do

Koebes
It is a 304 V8; the vacuum line goes to a valve which sits on a top of the engine. THERE I disconnect it with running motor to see what effect adding the vacuum has: it speeds it up. (I nearly lost a finger and the powersteering belt came loose, when I tried to see the effect of no vacuum by removing the vacuum line from the nipple of the distributor).
Anyway, it is tuned without vacuum and adding the vacuum advances it by maybe 5 degrees

Koebes
ENGINE NOT RUNNING--Bright light on Timing marks, rotate your harmonic Balancer to "0" or "TDC" (I just want to see it all, does not have to be dead-on) SEND ME A GOOD PIC OF THIS!

The Medic

Unplug first cylinder spark plug as well and wait for the upstroke before doing this?

Koebes
Gonna have to get Mr. Distributor to clamp down hard, when timing procedure is done----a little snug-ness is preferred while moving it slightly to get it timed

Can you bend the tabs down more or grind off the other end or bend it to get it tighter?

Come up with a plan!

DO NOT TEAR IT UP!

Let me know what you come up with, or send me a pic of what you are gonna do, before you do it!

The Medic

Plan is: - tomorrow morning I will with the engine not running in neutral crawl under the jeep and move by hand (that'll hurt) the timing notch to TDC
- I will take a photograph of this
- I will mark on the distributor where spark plug # column is
- I will remove the distributor cap
- I will notice whether the distributor is pointing where #1 Column was
- take a picture and send it

Koebes
I cranked it and it immediately went nearly right on target to TDC. I am afraid should I crawl under the jeep and apply torque with a wrench, it will move in****** and definitely will overshoot.
Looking at the enlarged photo, the mark is right on TDC while the chalkmark is a tiny bit counterclockwise from the notch

Koebes
OK---If it's running, we should be able to time it, regardless of what's pointing at what!

I'm kind lost on what's happening on your end!

This may take a little while so just stand-by, Imma Hurrying!

The Medic