NEED MEDIC!!!

1977 Jeep CJ7 • 999,999 miles

I think I Have a carburetor problem but not sure. I had my 77 CJ -7 sitting since Dec, replaced the master cylinder in Feb, then couldn't find anyone to help me bleed the brakes left for active duty for summer. Now I'm back, and battery was completely dead. Charged it up and then decided to replace it (Red Top). The jeep will crank but not start up. So I put gas in the carburetor adn it started right up but then died. This has happened quite a few times now. Vehicle has about a 1/2 tank of gas (was on a slope with tank on the lower end and is now level). Can't figure out what it is. Lines are all in good shape. Ground is good, terminals are tight, battery is charged, shouldn't be the alternator or the starter. Wondering if I need to clean the carb.

Help!

Airborne Intel Chick
Annejones1

Just keep doin' what you're doin' until it stays running. I have an '80 Volare that does the same thing when I intentionally run it out of gas to measure my fuel mileage. The fuel pump won't pull a prime at the relatively slow cranking speed but it will when the engine is running from fuel poured down the carburetor. Mine has always had a long crank time since new first thing in the morning too from fuel evaporating out of the float bowl overnight. There is a real simple factory fix for that but I never bother to install the check valve because I only drive the car a few times per year.

This summer the car sat sideways on a hill for a couple of months with almost an empty gas tank. I had to dump fuel into the carb about 8 times before it finally stayed running. That was a record.

Can I have someone do it for me while i'm cranking it or is that dangerous? Can't remember. Been so long since I've worked on vehicles.

Annejones1
I hav'ta do everything myself because there is no one else. Just dump a little gas in, set the can down, run inside and crank it. Once it sputters to life, hold the gas pedal down about quarter way to get the engine going faster than normal idle speed. I would estimate I dump in about a quarter of a cup of gas each time, minus how much I spill on the outside. My Volare engine has really long intake manifold runners so the gas vaporizes and provides fuel for quite a while without having raw fuel flood the cylinders. Use a little less gas on V-6 and V-8 engines.

Sometimes when doing this the engine will backfire and it can start the spilled gas on fire. That has happened to me a few times over the years on other cars. The important thing is to not panic. That gas will slowly burn off for quite a while before it does any damage. The best solution is to just slide the air filter cover back in place to put the flames out, just like a grease fire on the stove. Sometimes continued cranking will suck the flames down through the carburetor and snuff them out. If it helps to avoid a panic, remember that gasoline doesn't explode; the vapors burn very rapidly. Liquid gas does not burn at all, in fact, I've seen demonstrated that a lit match will go out when thrown into a pan of liquid gas.

NEVER FAILS!

I LEAVE THE COMPUTER A FEW HOURS. AND SOMEONE ACTUALLY ASKS FOR ME!

WHAT MOTOR WE GOT annejones1. TELL ME ALL ABOUT YOU JEEP. PICS ARE NICE TOO

SHOULDA TALKED TO ME SOONER.I KNOW THAT OPTIMA BATTERY IS CLOSE TO $200. MAYBE COULDA HELPED YOU SAVE $60-$80 BUCKS!

LET'S TALK, BEFORE YOU BUY MORE STUFF!

IF YOU LOOK DOWN IN THE CARB---WITH A FLASHLIGHT!---PULL THE THROTTLE BACK AND SIMULTANEOUSLY WATCH TO SEE IF THERE IS TINY STREAMS OF FUEL SQUIRTING INTO THE BARREL(S) FROM THE ACCELERATOR PUMPS ACTION. YES OR NO?

PUT YOU FUEL IN A SPRAY BOTTLE AND SQUIRT IT INTO THE CARB WHILE THEY CRANK IT

DO THIS OUTSIDE--AWAY FROM THE HOUSE--AWAY FROM OTHER RIGS

HAVE A BIG WET TOWEL (1ST LINE OF DEFENSE) AND A FIRE EXTINGUISHER CLOSE BY. IF THINGS JUST GO REAL BAD

IF WE DON'T GET FAR WITH THIS, WE MAY INVESTIGATE THE FUEL PUMP

YOUR TURN

Annejones1

WE'LL GET TO "PROPER BRAKE BLEEDING" SOON AS WE GET YOU FIRED UP AND RUNNING.

IF YOU WANT, WE'LL GO INTO A TUNE-UP, JUST TO MAKE THINGS EVEN BETTER

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE CRANKING AND IT DOES BUST OFF AND RUN. TILL THE FUEL INTRODUCED DOWN THE CARB IS GONE. SO, EITHER THE FUEL FROM THE TANK NOT GETTING THERE. YET/ IT NEEDS MORE TIME TO PUMP TO THE CARB/ OR IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN TILL WE FIX SOMETHING

. WE'RE HOPIN' IT WILL SOON GET THERE JUST FROM REPEATED "PRIMING"

WAS YOURS THAT EXCITING?

SHOULDA GOT YOU A JEEP CJ LIKE THE REST OF US!

I have a 304 V8 tan Levi Renegade stock vehicle with an aftermarket lift and tires - put those on in 2005. Dad wants me to sell it.I don't. I actually have another one (360 V8 '77 CJ-7 Levi Renegade with original seats) that was stolen and stripped - $28K worth of damage. At least I got it back before it was chopped up! This is the one I definitely want to keep and fix up!

I've had the battery for about a year, but it was still a strong battery. WIll grab a friend this afternoon and try troubleshooting your suggestions.

Thanks,
Anne

Airborne!

Annejones1
Almost certain it is the fuel pump. No gas is getting to the carburetor.

Annejones1
MAYBE LOOK AT THIS?

BEFORE YOU START RIPPING IN OR BUYING STUFF---TRY/ LOOK AT THIS STUFF....SEE "May 23, 2012" AT THIS POST AND THE SCREEN SHOTS FROM MY MOST RECENT PURCHASE IN MY PICS

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1985-jeep-cj7-6cyl-258-ci-that-through-ingnition-modules-they-cookies

2ND PIC...GUESS WHO?

3RD PIC...FUEL FILTERS....ETC OPINIONS!

4TH PIC..."TRAIN HORNS"

GOOD PICS...HAVING A HARD TIME CONVERTING THEM SO THEY WORK IN "MICROSOFT PAINT", SO I CAN SEND 'EM BACK

YOUR PICS ARE VERY HELPFUL

ARE YOU ABLE TO "TUNE" IT YOURSELF (WHEN WE GET THERE?...HAVE DWELL/TACH METER AND "PLAIN JANE" TIMING LIGHT???

HOW OLD IS THAT PUMP?...THEY AIN'T EXPENSIVE....NOW WILL BE CHEAPER BUYING ONLINE...WAIT AN HOUR...PICK UP AT STORE

PULL THE LINE OFF AT THE CARB---TURN OVER THE ENGINE AND SEE IF FUEL PULSES OUT....SHOULD GET AT LEAST 4-6 INCHES OF "SQUIRT" IF THE PUMP IS DOING DECENT AT EACH PULSE

YOUR TURN

Didn't want to scare the neighbors too loudly! Lol. Fuel filter on right was put in Feb 12, but I haven't run the vehicle since Dec. Master Cylinder also put in Feb 12. Looks like it's really old now. Haven't replaced the fuel filter on the right. I'll look at that.

I don't have tune up equipment, sadly. Been focusing on other tools for the house lately. I haven't replaced the fuel pump since at least 2006. WIll get back with you on the squirt test.

Annejones1
Found two fuel pumps - holley and spectra. Significant price difference, even with discount.

Annejones1
Page 1 of 2