Definition of Trouble Code P0195
Trouble code P0195 refers to a malfunction in the Engine Oil Temperature (EOT) sensor circuit. This sensor monitors the engine oil temperature to ensure optimal performance and protect the engine from potential damage caused by excessive temperatures. When the engine control module (ECM) detects an irregular signal from the EOT sensor or its circuit, it triggers the P0195 code.
Diagnosing Trouble Code P0195
Follow these steps to diagnose the P0195 code:
1. Verify the code: First, use an OBD-II scanner to read the trouble codes. Confirm the presence of the P0195 code and note any other codes that may be related to the issue.
2. Visual inspection: Visually inspect the EOT sensor and its wiring for any signs of damage, corrosion, or loose connections. Ensure the sensor is properly mounted and secure.
3. Check the EOT sensor: Use a digital multimeter to test the EOT sensor's resistance. Compare the readings to the manufacturer's specifications. Replace the sensor if the resistance values are out of range.
4. Test the wiring and connectors: Disconnect the EOT sensor and check the wiring for continuity and resistance. Repair or replace any damaged wiring or connectors.
5. Check the ECM: If all previous steps yield no results, the ECM may be at fault. Consult a professional technician to evaluate the ECM's functionality.
Repairing Trouble Code P0195
Follow these steps to repair the P0195 code:
1. Replace the EOT sensor: If the sensor is found to be faulty during diagnosis, replace it with a new one according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
2. Repair or replace damaged wiring or connectors: If you found any damaged wiring or connectors during diagnosis, repair or replace them as needed. Make sure all connections are secure and free from corrosion.
3. Clean or replace corroded connections: If you found corrosion during the visual inspection, clean the connections using an appropriate cleaner or replace the affected parts.
4. Re-test the system: After completing the repairs, use the OBD-II scanner to clear the trouble codes. Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes to reach operating temperature. Then, test drive the vehicle to ensure the code does not return.
Trouble code P0195 indicates a malfunction in the engine oil temperature sensor circuit. Diagnosing and repairing this issue involves checking the sensor, wiring, and connectors for any damage or irregularities. Follow the step-by-step guide provided to diagnose and repair the issue. It is essential to address this code promptly to prevent potential engine damage caused by excessive oil temperatures. If you are unsure of your ability to diagnose or repair the issue, it is recommended to consult a professional technician for assistance.