Wrench Symbol when shifted to reverse

CANNON1349
  • 2011 FORD F-150
Hi,

Got in the truck as usual and switched to reverse to back it out. The "R" did not illuminate as it does when selecting gears, and eventually a wrench symbol came up on the screen, and the transmission slammed in reverse. After put in drive it went away and drove fine. Even put it in reverse fine. I changed the transmission filter a couple days ago. Seems like a range sensor issue? No codes stored in the ECM.
Tuesday, March 24th, 2020 AT 2:41 PM

KASEKENNY1
I doubt the issue is the range sensor. This basically just tells the rest of the modules what gear the unit is in. The wrench light with no codes is a little odd.

How much time was between this happening and then checking for codes?
Tuesday, March 24th, 2020 AT 2:46 PM
CANNON1349
Maybe 3 minutes. It went off when put in drive. Now I do have an oil sending unit causing faulty low oil pressure.
Tuesday, March 24th, 2020 AT 2:48 PM
KASEKENNY1
Ah. That is interesting. If the truck is driving normally and doesn't have an issue, I would let it lie but fix that oil pressure sender because that could have definitely cause this.
Tuesday, March 24th, 2020 AT 3:05 PM
CANNON1349
Really? It would cause it to go into limp mode like that? Hm. Well, I replaced the sending unit tonight and cleaned the connector. I'll report back if it occurs again.
Tuesday, March 24th, 2020 AT 6:55 PM
CANNON1349
However is it normal if I select "3" on the gear shift that the truck won't move? I go to drive and it shifts fine, gears 1-6. Maybe it's too high of a gear to start from.
Tuesday, March 24th, 2020 AT 7:05 PM
CANNON1349
Never mind, it does move in 3 just takes a little more throttle to get it going.
Wednesday, March 25th, 2020 AT 5:24 AM
KASEKENNY1
Okay. Glad you figure that out because it should move but as you found it will not move very well. Clearly it is not meant to drive that way. I believe if it won't operate in a gear then it will block the shift, meaning it won't show the gear you are commanding. When you press the button it just won't shift.

As for the limp in, low oil pressure or perceived low will cause limp in because limp in is just simply a protection mode that is controlled by the PCM. If it sees low pressure or anything else that can cause damage to the engine or transmission, it will limit power.
Wednesday, March 25th, 2020 AT 9:00 AM
CANNON1349
Makes sense. Well does it make sense to see an increase in power after changing it? It wasn't leaking oil badly, just barely a drip here and there.
Wednesday, March 25th, 2020 AT 9:01 AM
BMDOUBLE
Sounds like a molded leadrame issue, which is hugely common on these trucks! Here is some food for thought.
Wednesday, March 25th, 2020 AT 10:22 AM

Sponsored links