Won't start, battery is good

BLDG4488
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS

Saw your earlier answer about the starter relay in the fuse/panel box. Does the relay replace the starter solenoid? I get one click and then nothing, I remember jumping the big brass connectors on solenoids on Fords as a kid, but they were up front, visible, and accessible.

Thanx

Dan

Thursday, May 9th, 2013 AT 8:43 AM

ASEMASTER6371

Sounds like you have a bad starter motor. Make sure the battery is good as well.

Relay does not take the place of the solenoid

Thursday, May 9th, 2013 AT 5:52 PM
MARKITO

I am not a master certified Tech but I can Reassure that what he is saying is true. The relay your reffering to( Starter Relay ) is just so the ignition switch doesn't have to bear the amount of current draw that the starter motor needs. It protects it from possible damage. Pin numbers 85 and 86 are the pins to the coil of the relay which is what teh ignition switch is attached to. Pin numbers 30, 87a, and 87 are the contact points to which the starter control circuit is connected.

Tuesday, May 14th, 2013 AT 9:00 AM