It sounds like the park interlock isn't working. This is going to sound odd, but are the brake lights working? The actuator is powered through the brake light switch. So, if there is no power to the switch, it won't release.
If the brake lights are working, we need to confirm if there is power to the actuator. If there is, then the actuator needs replaced.
Here are the directions. The attached pic correlates with the directions.
1998 Ford Truck Expedition 4WD V8-5.4L SOHC VIN L
Vehicle Powertrain Management Transmission Control Systems Actuators and Solenoids - Transmission and Drivetrain Actuators and Solenoids - A/T Shift Interlock Solenoid Service and Repair Procedures
1. Remove the steering column.
2. Remove the insert plate and shift lock actuator.
1 Remove the bolts.
2 Remove the insert plate and shift lock actuator.
3. NOTE: The shift lock actuator clip is an assembly aid for the assembly plant and does not need to be replaced in the field.
Remove the insert plate from the shift lock actuator.
- Remove and discard the shift lock actuator clip.
1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.
Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.
Take care and God Bless,
Images (Click to make bigger)
Wednesday, February 17th, 2021 AT 6:12 PM