This car has been babied for 6 years, well cared for. I don't drive it more than a few miles a week (so it doesn't get hot, which rules out overheating or loss of coolant). If anything goes awry, like loss of power (needed a new battery) or check engine light (just a quirk, it was re-set), I fly to my long-time mechanic.
It is parked under a carport, protected from the sun. It rarely rains and when it does, I don't drive. So, there's no water jumping up into the spark plug wires making its way to the spark plugs.
Was the check engine light on? NO
Was there white smoke coming out of the exhaust? NO
Is the sputter at idle intermittent or does it happen every time? Happened twice during the two 10-minute times I drove it, and the 2nd time is when I drove to the mechanic.
Does your car overheat? NO The engine did not get hot. It never does.
Have you had to add coolant to the radiator? NO
Has your car been exposed to water? NO
Did your mechanic ask you any of these questions? NO
P0300 showed up on the diagnostics. Mechanic pulled the plugs, and said 3 (yes 3) plugs showed "water intrusion." This condition wasn't listed in your spark plug ailments (wet with gas or oil).
There's more to this. Let's start here and please tell me what you see. If you can show the photos to a mechanic who has not seen this email, I'd appreciate that, too, so that his or her opinion will not be colored by the back story.
have the same problem?
Saturday, August 9th, 2014 AT 7:46 AM