REAR BRAKES LOCK UP MOMENTARILY ON BACK UP

2004 Volvo XC70

Keith La porte

September, 13, 2010 AT 6:17 AM

Brakes problem
2004 Volvo XC70 All Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

I just purchased a volvo xc70 used, I love it, however, after starting in the morning and putting in reverse with in a few feet of backing up the rear brakes grab for a second real hard, as if I hit something then they release. Is this a volvo thing I; m unaware of for saftey or what. Thank you in advance.

Keith

JIS001

September, 14, 2010 AT 3:19 AM

If you just bought it, did you get any type of warranty? Even if you bought it as is, if you just recently just purchased it at a dealership, you have some sort of guarantee that what you just bought should be in working order. Also what happenes if you keep going in reverse after it releases? Does the brakes grab again and release? Are there any warning lights on like the ABS or traction service light? To start with, you may want to call Volvo and see if they can scan all the control modules for you and see if there are any codes for brakes or the differential?

2CarPros Linsey

September, 15, 2010 AT 11:07 AM

This is a responds to your responds to my question, no lights, no re grab, no warrenty, was in perfect working order when got it and the brakes system was checked per volvo's over a 100k inspection prior to purchase, this is a very reputable dealership I can trust and they will stand behind it even with out a warrenty. I was mearly trying to learn more about the problem before going to them. If you have more info to share with the info I just gave you that would be great.

VOLVO SERVICE ADV

September, 17, 2010 AT 10:20 AM

SOMETIMES IF THE BRAKES ARE AFTERMARKET, THEY WILL GET STUCK OR MAKE ABNORMAL NOISES. EVEN NOT HAVING PROPER LUBRICATION IN THE CONTACT POINTS WILL CAUSE ABNORMALITIES.

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Parking Brake Shoe Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet