NEW PROBLEM

2002 Volvo XC70

Mesink

September, 1, 2010 AT 10:27 AM

2002 Volvo XC70 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 97000 miles

Love my XC70; safe, familiar, and beautiful. I've put in around 3K in repairs in the past year - front axle and something big next to the fuel pump; right front control arm; couple of electrical probs. Yesterday, the instrument panel went out as I was on the highway - no Speedometer, Odometer, Heat Gauge, RPMs - nothing. Then, I got an urgent message that SRS airbag needs attention. I have an excellent mechanic who says the car is going to be a money pit. I want to keep the car, but I'm afraid my mechanic is right. Advice?

JIS001

September, 3, 2010 AT 12:44 AM

The problem you are now having now indicates you could have a CANus poblem. This can be a control module that is going offline to a bad wirng harness. Proper diagnosis needs to be done to narrow down the fault and it wont be easy and I can tell you now it will not be cheap.

vol2003

October, 16, 2010 AT 4:14 PM

I am having the same problem with the instrument panel suddenly going off. Can you tell me if you have fix this problem in your car? What was the problem? How much did it cost to fix?

VOLVO SERVICE ADV

October, 16, 2010 AT 7:07 PM

THE PROBLEM MAY IN THE " DISPLAY INFORMATION MODULE", IF ITS MALFUNCTIONING, THESE ARE CLASSIC SYMPTUMS. REPLACEMEMENT OF THE DIM IS AROUND $1000.00. THE OTHER POSSIBILITY COULD BE THE CONTACT REEL, WHICH IS AROUND $600.00. THIS IS DEFINITELY A PROBLEM THAT SHOULD BE DIAGNOSED PROPERLY, TAKING THE VEHICLE TO THE DEALER WOULD PROBABLY BE THE SAFER BET. I HAVE SEEN INDEPENDENT SHOPS MISDIAGNOSE CONDITIONS SUCH AS THIS AND THEN IT ENDS UP COSTING MORE MONEY THAN IT SHOULD.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Dynamat Door Installation