1992 VOLVO WAGON WORTH FIXING

• Ycny77
  • 1992 VOLVO WAGON

1992 Volvo Wagon 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

I love my volvo but the transmission needs to be replaced. It is not shifting properly. The mechanic says it is not worth fixing because the car also has electrical problems. Would you agree?

Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 12:25 PM

• Usahelp

Depending on the condition of the vehicle in general, being "rust free", and has a long history of well maintained service repair such as oil & filter change every 3000 miles, "mechanically sound, with exception to the transmission now, " parts costs very high and over rated, with having said that, "Is this Mechanic a genuine Volvo Technician? If not, get a 2nd oppinion from a well known mechanic, as to the mechanic stating you have other issues such as electrical problems, could be minor such as blown fuses and or sensors not functioning properly, get an electrical diagnostics test at a Volvo Repair Garage, now then, if your volvo is in average to good condition, but mostly 90% rust free, and the transmission is the only thing needed to get you going, then look into "rebuilt transmiisions" or getting your's rebuilt, or if not, weigh the issue, if a repolacement Transmission exceeds over $1000.00 dollars with totla labor, "JUNK IT!&Quot, Volvos that are excellant condition from 1990 -94are only retail no more than $3,500.00 and these have less than 100,000 miles on them and are well maintained, Good condition: $2,700.00 less than 140,000, Average Condition: 1,700.00 less than 140,000 mechanically sound with less than 40% rust, and Poor Condition: value parts only!

Sunday, August 1st, 2010 AT 10:31 PM