2000 VOLVO S70 INTERMITTENT A/C ISSUE

• oldguy28613
  • 2000 Volvo S70

Air Conditioning problem
2000 Volvo S70 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 154500 miles

My A/C has an intermittent fault -- the fan keeps blowing, but the cooling stops. I've not detected a certain cause, but it happens in traffic, on the interstate, and sometimes if I start or stop quickly or gun it to accelerate. My mechanic says the coolant is to spec, but it didn't happen during the day he had it.

Turning off the A/C switch on the dash for a few minutes will -sometimes- cause the cooling to start again when I re-engage it.

Any ideas? This is one of the 2000 S70s that has continual electrical shorting issues -- tail lamps going out, etc. Could that be involved?

Saturday, May 31st, 2008 AT 7:37 PM

• mastertechtim

Does the cooling fan run when the ac is on? Were the pressure readings good?

Saturday, May 31st, 2008 AT 7:45 PM
  • oldguy28613

Fan runs (on auto and on manual). The pressures were normal, according to the mech.

Saturday, May 31st, 2008 AT 8:06 PM
  • mastertechtim

He is missing something. Do you notice when its not working is the ac compressor coming on? Possible loose connection near ac compressor

Saturday, May 31st, 2008 AT 8:11 PM
  • oldguy28613

I'll check that this week -- I'm on the road, won't be able to get it back to him until Thursday.

Saturday, May 31st, 2008 AT 8:19 PM