2000 Volvo S70 Changin Trans Fluid - fixing the effects

• 1 POST
  • 2000 VOLVO S70

2000 Volvo S70 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

Hi Guys!

I have a used 2000 Volvo S70 with the 2.4L 5 cyl and 5-speed auto trans. When I got it I thought I would catch up on the maintenance, and had a transmission shop replace some leaky seals and replace the transmission fluid. Immediately afterward, the car had no third gear. Since I only paid $39.95 for the fluid change, I would guess they used generic rather than Volvo specific synthetic AT fluid. Now they're quoting me over $2K to replace the trans.
My question - would flushing and putting the right fluid in make sense, or am I already kaput? They said the detergents in the new fluid probably unstuck the gunked-up hydraulics, and that's why it fails in third now. Odd that it would happen immediately, so I'm looking for your wisdom to avoid a $2-3K repair bill on a well-used car. Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Vocal in Virginia

Tuesday, September 23rd, 2008 AT 9:14 PM

The only way a flush would help is if they used a machine and replaced the entire capacity of the trans. The damage may already be done. If they used the wrong fluid I would have a nice sit down with the shop manager and see what you can work out. Also might not hurt to have a shop that does Volvos take a look at it and see what they can come up with

Wednesday, September 24th, 2008 AT 7:52 AM