COMPRESSOR CLUTCH

1998 Volvo S70

TazmanianDevil

July, 12, 2009 AT 8:47 PM

Air Conditioning problem
1998 Volvo S70 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 114000 miles

I followed your troubleshooting procedure on my 98 Volvo S70. The compressor clutch is not turning. I'm trying to determine whether I have a refrigerant leak or pressure problem, or a broken compressor that needs replacing. Would the compressor clutch not turn if the refrigerant pressure is low? Or does it not turn only if the compressor is broken and needs replacement?

Thanks for your help!

JIS001

July, 13, 2009 AT 1:14 AM

If you are low enough on refrigerant then that could cause the A/C clutch from engaging. A quick test to see if the compressor is getting power is to unplug the electrical connector and start the car up and turn the A/C on. Probe the connector with a test light. If it lights up then the problem is with the clutch. Measure the gap with a feeler gage. It should be between.3mm and.5mm if it is greater then that have the clutch replaced. If you have no power then you would need to evacuate the refrigerant to measure how much freon is in there. If that is ok then you will need a wiring diagram to fault trace the circuit.

TazmanianDevil

July, 13, 2009 AT 5:41 AM

Thank you very much for your reply! I will test the connector. So I take it that if the electric is ok, my problem could be either (i) the refrigerant is low, or (ii) the compressor is bad, or (iii) both?

So after I check the electrical, if it is OK, then I would check the refrigerant level. If that is low, then if I replace it, the compressor MAY come on if it is not broken. Am I right?

Thanks again!

JIS001

July, 13, 2009 AT 11:56 PM

There will be no power to the compressor if you are low on freon or have some other problem.

TazmanianDevil

July, 14, 2009 AT 5:32 AM

Got it. Thank you!

JIS001

July, 14, 2009 AT 11:37 PM

N problem. Keep me posted as o what happens please.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe