2004 Volvo S60 fluctuating gas gauge

CNPKC
  • 2004 VOLVO S60
What would cause the gas gauge to stay on full when it's almost empty? What is the cost to repair?
Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 AT 4:57 PM

JIS001
Usually the fuel level gage is the what causes that problem. Also do you have the metal gas tank or the plastic one? The metal tank has the level sender with the pump module but you can replace just the level sender by itself. If you have the plastic gas tank then you will have a level sender on the left and the fuel pump assembly with another level sender on it to the right. Depending on where the vehicle was sold, you may want to call Volvo to see if RECALL 220 applies to your vehicle? If it does, Volvo will inspect the fuel pump and replace it at no charge if you have the one that will most likely leak installed. To replace the pump the left side sender has to come out and you get 2 orings with that as well. If the pump has to be replaced just buy the left side sender and have them install that one on instead of the old one. Or you can pay for diagnostic to see which sender is faulty but will most likely cost you more in the long run? So call Volvo and give them your VIN# and see if the recall applies to you or take a peek at the gas tank and let me know if it is the metal one?
Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 AT 8:56 PM
CNPKC
I checked the gas tank and it appears to be plastic.
Saturday, October 16th, 2010 AT 2:58 PM
JIS001
Then you should call your local Volvo dealership and see if recall 220 applies to your vehicle. If the pump does need to be replaced then I would recommend you buy the left sender and have them install it. Let them know that and make sure they note that in the repair order so that they will not charge you for the labor. Like I mentioned before, the left sender has to come out either way. If the recall does not apply to you or the pump is the correct one that is installed, then you will need to pay to have it diagnose.
Saturday, October 16th, 2010 AT 10:43 PM