2006 Volvo S40 Cabin air recirculation

• 14 POSTS
  • 2006 VOLVO S40

Smells problem
2006 Volvo S40

I am trying to find out where the cabin air intake is? I thought it would be under the passenger dash, like just abt every other car, but when I try to find it, I cant locate anyplace where the air is being "sucked in" to be recirculated within the cabin. Any suggestions?

Saturday, October 31st, 2009 AT 5:38 PM

If you are still within factory warranty you should take it in to Volvo for the smell problem. If you want to replace the cabin air filter yourself then yes, you are looking in the wrong area. To replace the cabin filter
use a weatherstrip tool and remove the panel inside the center console. It is secured with 4 hidden clips behinde the radio. Remove the drivers side soundprof panel. There is 3 screws holding it. 2 Will be at the bottom. You will need to remove the accelerator pedal. There are 3 locking 10mm nuts holding the pedal so I would recommend you remove them by hand so that you do not damage the studs or cause the spot well to break from behinde. Once you remove the pedal fold the carpet back and you will see the climate box housing door. Remove the 3 7mm screws to remove door. Pull cabin filter out and pay close attention to the arrows since you will need to install the new filter with the arrows pointing the same way for the airflow. Reverse procedure to reinstall. I would also recommend you get 3 new 10mm nuts that are not locking nuts. When you remove the nuts look at the center in the hole. You will notice the hole is oval shape so it comes out tight and will go in tight. Get some regular nuts to reinstall.

Sunday, November 1st, 2009 AT 4:36 PM