2005 Volvo S40 UN-Programing my Key?

RKNJ
  • 2005 VOLVO S40
2005 Volvo S40

I ordered another electronic key from the dealer because the extra one I had does not work. They ordered me the key and programmed it to my computer. After it didn't work they realized that the problem is in the computer/starter and it will need to be replaced $300. NOW, they will not take back the key because they say it's already been programmed to my car.

IS THIS TRUE? Can they not just unprogram it and let me return it? Now I own a $120 key that ONLY unlocks the doors?
Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 AT 11:20 AM

JIS001
If you are talking about the plastic key then most likely the packaging was thrown away for the key. The package has a 12 and 8 digit code that needs to be inputed to program the key. Without it they can not program it to another car. Also to remove the key from the Central Electronic Module would require removing ALL the keys as well. So your pretty much stuck with the key unless the dealership was the one to misdiagnose the problem then they should be the ones to eat the key and software.
Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 AT 10:49 PM
RKNJ
I didn't realize it worked like that. I am not sure if I can tell if it was their fault. Originally they told me the key I had was shot and to order a new one. I did and then they told me it's not a problem with the key but with the computer/starter. They ALSO told me it's just a matter of time and it will probably die completely, I'll have to replace the computer at some point. They say even though I have the key now and it doesn't start the car, I will be able to use it in the future after I replace the part. Hm.
Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 8:27 AM
JIS001
If you have something in writing like an invoice where you paid for diagnosing and they recommended the key then you should not be held responsible for having to buy the key. But if you did not pay for diagnosing and all they did was assume it could be a bad key then your kinda stuck with the key? What is the exact problem? Is it the ignition switch that is going bad? If it is then no key should be working at all?
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 1:06 AM