POSSIBLE FROZEN ENGINE

Volvo

zkam

September, 11, 2007 AT 5:53 PM

I actually have a boat, but it's a 2003 volvo 8 cylinder 5.0 engine with fuel injection. Suddenly one day it wouldn't start, just cranking over and over. I changed the fuel filter, and disconnected fuel lines from the tank looking for water, but no evidence. Put new filter on and it eventually started, running really rough at first, then smoothed out. It was fine for that day and evening, starting right up. After sitting for about a week, it wouldn't start again, just cranking and every so often it would chug as if trying. I left it for a couple more weeks, put some additive in the tank to absorb or get rid of water in the tank, but it still wouldn't start, just crank. A couple weeks later I tried to crank it and the engine won't move. The starter engages and only moves the engine about a quarter inch.
Is the engine frozen? And how do I unfreeze it?

merlin2021

September, 11, 2007 AT 6:00 PM

What I would do here is pull all the spark plugs out and see if you can hand crank it, if you can, leave the plugs out and do a compression test.
You may have siezed it.

bluescrambler

October, 5, 2007 AT 9:48 AM

Assuming the engine is seized, what are the options?

merlin2021

October, 5, 2007 AT 1:38 PM

Either a total rebuild of that motor(worst option) Replace that engine (best)

Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Tundra
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Oil and Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram
Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Corolla