OVER HAETING

1997 Volvo 960

Donald K. Smith

October, 31, 2010 AT 5:32 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Volvo 960 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 177000 miles

my volvo960 was doing great but 5days ago began running hot! Steam began coming out the anti freeze reservior signaling overheating plus when I look at temp. Gauge it was buried on red. The car was down about a half gallon of anti freeze the garage tech replaced the coolant to its proper level and I experienced no more problem until 3days ago. The car began running hot once more and while it was running hot I cut on the heat and the temp. Gauge immediately went back normal. Since driving with heater running the car has not ran hot could it be a thermostate problem or more serious developement? Thank you for your time and coming advice

bluelightnin6

October, 31, 2010 AT 6:35 PM

Since the heater does work that rules out a faulty heater core and most likely faulty thermostat. I would suggest making certain the radiator fan(s) come on properly and that the water pump is not leaking.

VOLVO SERVICE ADV

November, 8, 2010 AT 7:11 PM

I AGREE WITH BLUELIGHTNIN6, THE THERMOSTAT IS THE FIRST PART TO REPLACE. ALSO, WHEN REMOVING THE THERMOSTAT, CHECK THE UPPER NECK AT THE RADIATOR, IF IT FEELS WEAK OR SOFT, OR IF YOU SEE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST CRACK, REPLACE THE RADIATOR. I HAVE SEEN THE UPPER RADIATOR NECKS BREAK AND THEN ENGINE OVERHEATS, AND THEN BLOWN HEADGASKET.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage