WHERE IS THE FAN MOTOR RESISTOR LOCATED

1992 Volvo 940

jwallace314

July, 21, 2008 AT 8:15 PM

Air Conditioning problem
1992 Volvo 940 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

The AC does not work, so I had it checked out by the import mechanics. Because the multi-position blower switch only works on 1 speed they recommended starting with a blower resistor. Everything else works: AC compressor, holds coolant, but the switch just won't turn the compressor on. I purchased the blower resistor, but need to know where it is located on this Volvo. Also where is the associated wiring harness?

July, 21, 2008 AT 8:28 PM

The AC/Heater blower motor resistor is located on right side of dash behind the glove box-
also see below-

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_resistor_5.jpg

jwallace314

July, 26, 2008 AT 10:37 PM

Okay I found the blower motor resistor and changed it out. If you remove the glovebox first it is very easy to see the resistor. So now the blower motor has all 5 speeds but the AC compressor still will not turn on. The mechanic said the compressor works and the unit holds coolant. Any additional trouble shooting direction would be appreciated.

jwallace314

July, 31, 2008 AT 10:00 PM

I need additional information about why the AC compressor may not be turning on. See previous post for details

August, 16, 2008 AT 2:08 PM

Hi jwallace314,

1. You need to check if there is sufficient freon in the system.
2. Is power being supplied to the compressor?
3. Is the compressor relay working?
4. Is the AC compressor On/Off switch ok?

Change Your Blower Fan Motor Like a Pro
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue