KEY WONT TURN IGNITION SWITCH

1990 Volvo 760

Nicksue

August, 12, 2008 AT 6:46 AM

1990 Volvo 760 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 215K miles

I have tried everything and the key just won't work. How do you replace the ignition switch on the steering column? Are there any free on line pictures/description detailing how the switch replacement is done

sako

August, 18, 2008 AT 3:14 PM

This happened to me 2 years ago where the ignition key in my volvo 760 turbo wouldn, t turn.
I played with it for 4 days before I realised that the only way to replace the ignition switch was to use a dremmel grinding wheel and grind away the top part of the ign. Switch after disassembling the rear part of the ign. Switch and pulling apart the electrical connection by inscrewing the two small screws.

I went to the junk yard and found a switch with the key in it and replaced my old one.
Recently it quit turning again so I just des-assembled the ign. Switch, took it out and reconnected the electrical connection and have been starting it with a screw driver.
If you need more detailed explenation email me.

Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide