88 BATTERY RUNS DOWN AND THEN WON'T START

1988 Volvo 240

shane_m

February, 14, 2006 AT 7:50 AM

'88 Volvo 240 DL wagon, I've had the ground replaced a year ago, have now had the battery replaced twice within the last month, the mechanics say I need a new alternator, they put in a new alternator and the same problem persists three days after -- I drive the car for 45 mins. To an hour, it's driving fine, when it's time to re-start it, it struggles to start, sounds like a low battery. Each successive time restarting it, the battery has less and less power, it'll take a jump just fine, but once it's time to turn off and restart, same thing. All of this started during a frigid cold snap two months ago, the mechanics said the battery was weak, that's when I got a second new battery, it runs for two weeks, then problems persist, the mechanics say the voltage swings so it must be the alternator, and 4-5 hrs of driving time and now the car won't start!

LWCook

June, 29, 2006 AT 9:47 AM

Sounds like it could be a wiring problem. Doesn't matter how new the battery or alternator is if the power can't get from one to the other.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang