DL WONT START

1990 Volvo 240

mmash

September, 15, 2007 AT 7:24 AM

Hello, I have a question about a Volvo 240DL Wagon, 240.000 miles, 4 cylinder, I dont know exactly what engine it has but I do know it isn't a turbo. It is fuel injected.I am desperate, car has been at mechanics over a week. This problem first start out as intermittent. The car would start early in the morning when it was cool out. Once the car heated up in the mid day sun it wouldn't start. Then it just wouldn't start at all. I tried to find the problem myself with now luck. I did test a few things myself, it is getting spark, ignition past test, however I checked the resistance on the coolant temperature sensor and the wire that leads to
it and I found there wasn't any. Would this cause car not to start? I had it towed to the mechanic, he said it was the fuel pumps, replaced fuel pumps, problem still there. Please HELP!
Thanks for your time,
Melissa

Jack42

September, 16, 2007 AT 8:17 AM

Have the tech test to see if the fuel pumps are getting power when the engine is being cranked

mmash

September, 16, 2007 AT 9:44 AM

He says that the fuel pressure was good.

Jack42

September, 17, 2007 AT 7:25 AM

Does it have spark?

mmash

September, 17, 2007 AT 8:08 AM

Yes it does have spark. I have been doing alot of research on this and I found a fella that has the exact same problem.
It was his fuel pump relay. He took it apart and resoldered the wire connections on the curcuit board. Even though it is getting fuel, could it be this relay?
Also his clock quit working at the same time. Mine quit working as well a few days before the car wouldn't start at all. Actually it would work intermitenly. The relay in my car was replaced last summer because of this problem and it fixed it. Is it possible for this relay to fail two summers in a row?

THanks for your time, Melissa

mmash

September, 19, 2007 AT 9:11 AM

Help desperate! I have taken car to different mechanic. I am paniced! Would the coolant temp sensor prohibit the car from starting? How can I test the crank positioning sensor?

Melissa

mmash

September, 26, 2007 AT 8:08 PM

Turns out it was the fuel pump relay. I took it apart and resoldered the curcuit board and it has started ever since. Thanks for your help.

Melissa

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang