2001 Volkswagen TDI Door Locks

TAVISLE
  • 2001 VOLKSWAGEN TDI

2001 Volkswagen TDI 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 140000 miles

The driver door will not unlock from the outside. I have to unlock all the car doors by turning the key twice, open a different door, reach in and open the driver door from the inside. Once unlocked the latch works fine from both inside and out. (Note: the key remote doesn't work since it went through the wash, so I don't know if that would work.)
I have Haynes Manual, but I don't know what I'm looking for once I get into the driver door.

Friday, October 8th, 2010 AT 9:43 PM

DR. HAGERTY

German cars usually have this problem when the suspect door lock actuator has failed, try replacement of the drivers door lock actuator. I recommend purchasing a Robert Bentley manual for your German car, the Haynes manual is pretty much a waste of paper and ink.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Friday, October 8th, 2010 AT 11:33 PM
VWSCOTT

Haynes manuals are loaded with misinformation and will only get you in trouble.

Saturday, July 7th, 2012 AT 12:20 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

Tavisle, have you fixed this yet? Most likely what's happened is the connecting rod from the lock cylinder to the locking portion of the latch has fallen off. Replace the grommet/locking clip with a new one (Autozone/Pepe Boys) and reattach the rod, and you should be set.

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 AT 3:03 AM

Help us by donating