DOOR LOCKS

2001 Volkswagen TDI

Tavisle

October, 8, 2010 AT 9:43 PM

2001 Volkswagen TDI 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 140000 miles

The driver door will not unlock from the outside. I have to unlock all the car doors by turning the key twice, open a different door, reach in and open the driver door from the inside. Once unlocked the latch works fine from both inside and out. (Note: the key remote doesn't work since it went through the wash, so I don't know if that would work.)
I have Haynes Manual, but I don't know what I'm looking for once I get into the driver door.

Dr. Hagerty

October, 8, 2010 AT 11:33 PM

German cars usually have this problem when the suspect door lock actuator has failed, try replacement of the drivers door lock actuator. I recommend purchasing a Robert Bentley manual for your German car, the Haynes manual is pretty much a waste of paper and ink.

vwscott

July, 7, 2012 AT 12:20 AM

Haynes manuals are loaded with misinformation and will only get you in trouble.

rivermikerat

July, 25, 2012 AT 3:03 AM

Tavisle, have you fixed this yet? Most likely what's happened is the connecting rod from the lock cylinder to the locking portion of the latch has fallen off. Replace the grommet/locking clip with a new one (Autozone/Pepe Boys) and reattach the rod, and you should be set.

Door Lock Replacement Toyota 4Runner
Dynamat Door Installation
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement