TIMING BELT, BENT VALVES, LOCKED CRA

2001 Volkswagen Passat

Panth80

April, 5, 2008 AT 7:12 PM

2001 Volkswagen Passat 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 107000 miles

I have a 2001 VW Passat 2.8 V6. My friend said that he could repair timing belts and so I let him fix mine. But when we tried to start it up it made a pinging sound and then cut off. He read through the manual and found out that the timing belt wasn't set right. I suspect we might have some broken valves, however we can't get the crankshaft to move at all. Is it possible that the valves got caught up in the piston and thats the reason for the crankshaft not turning?

mastertechtim

April, 5, 2008 AT 8:14 PM

Absolutely. Was the belt broken or were you replacing it for maintainance reasons?

Panth80

April, 5, 2008 AT 9:10 PM

We were replacing the water pump, but since we had to remove the timing belt I thought it to be a good idea to replace that as well. Is this something that would be better to replace the valves or am I looking at buying a whole new engine?

mastertechtim

April, 6, 2008 AT 5:50 PM

Most of the time you can just replace the valves and you are ok. There is a slight chance of a broken piston, you will have to remove the head to check.

2003_passat_glx

April, 21, 2008 AT 4:20 PM

Had broken in collision timing belt and right side belt tooth wheel. Since car wasn't running I tested valves by rotating manualy just that side firs and finding no crank sounds did same on other side. Everything sounds OK. Now, I have to replace that tooth wheel and timing belt, but can't find picturial guide. Any links? TIA

under_the_radar

June, 19, 2008 AT 4:56 PM

My (now former) daily-driver, '96 Audi A4 quattro, 2.8, 12-valve, 140k mi, just slipped some teeth on the timing belt resulting in cylinder/valve contact - looking at $4,500 for all the things that are wrong, including a fuel sender sensor for about $500 of that (quote from a " high-end" euro shop) - I thought the car was worth that BEFORE all of this mess - can't see spending that kind of cash

most non-audi places tell me they don't have the specialized tools for an Audi, and turn me away.

I'm actually preparing to embark on head gasket replacement and several other things on my '94 Lincoln Mk8 - HERE'S THE QUESTION - am I insane for thinking I should keep the Audi and take a stab at it myself?

Maybe I'll get my hands on a shop manual and see what they say about the tools required.

Thanks, take care

Air Filter Replacement
Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Camaro
Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Air Filter Replacement Honda Accord