2004 Volkswagen Jetta Open door alarm goes off when turning

RAYCHAMPAGNE
  • 2004 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA
2004 Volkswagen Jetta 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic ~60000 miles

Lately our car has started to show the "door ajar" icon on the dashboard when making right hand turns, as well as turning on the interior light and sounding off the interior alarm that a door has been opened. I have checked and double checked all 4 doors as well as the trunk and the hood, all are securely shut and have no obstructions.

Wondering three things:

1) Where is the door sensor?
2) Does this sound like a door sensor problem?
3) Is this a job that a weekend handy guy could take on? (I am a mechanic's son who does most of his own light maintenance work such as brakes, tune-ups, oil changes, etc)
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 6:13 PM

IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you is your model the GL, GLI or GLS? Also please tell me your engine size in liter and what is the 8th digit of your VIN.
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 6:22 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Hey, please do me one other thing just in case. Please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.

I think you are going to be able to fix this once we figure it out if you do those things.
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 6:24 PM
RAYCHAMPAGNE
I went down to my local AutoZone and O'Reilly and they both told me that running a diagnostic check on the car isn't going to turn up anything, since my checkengine light isn't coming on. This makes perfect sense to me.

The guy at Autozone wasn't at all helpful, but he did tell me that there really is no such thing as a sensor, just a latch. I *guess* that makes sense, but if it were a loose latch or malfunctioning latch, one would think I could trigger it by pushing on the driver's side doors from the inside (note that this only happens when making right turns).

The door ajar alarm has gotten even worse since my first post, it makes the sound when making slight "lane change" turns.

As asked, the 8th digit of the VIN is "M". The engine size is the 2.0L (non-turbo). 2004 VW Jetta GLS.

Any help is appreciated.
Monday, March 16th, 2009 AT 6:16 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Thanks for the info.

As for the light. It doesn't have to stay on to throw a code. Your door modules all run through the DTC and can throw a code. Example, code 952 is "Signal Driver's Door Open" .

The alarm system also is affected by your doors and interior lights. Again, this goes through the DTC.

So I understand how it may make sense, but I am also going by the manual for your car and following the basic troubleshooting steps. The vehicle may not have thrown any codes. But again, this is the first step in troubleshooting.

For now, take a can of WD40 and spray the door latch area really good. The latch that closes when it hits the striker post on the vehicle. Spray each door latch mechanism down really good. Spray, then open and close the door several times. Then spray, then open and close the door several times. Make sure you do each door.

Let me know what happens.
Monday, March 16th, 2009 AT 6:53 PM
RAYCHAMPAGNE
Ok, I will take another trip to the O'Reilly and see if they will listen this time. I will post back what I hear.

So you're saying that even if the car is not showing the symptoms at the time they are testing, and there is no light or "ding" alarm going off, there will still be a reading?

In the meantime, I will do the WD40 tricvk and see what that brings me.

Thanks for the help so far!
Monday, March 16th, 2009 AT 7:01 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Thanks for getting back so quick.

Yes on the codes.I know it may sound odd, but many vehicles will flash a code and the light goes off. Now, will you have a code. Well can't say for sure. Each manual though on 90% of the vehicles say to check that first. I add the battery and alternator in there to save the customer, you in this case, future problems that may be starting. A weak cell in a battery, a diode going out in the alternator. Preventative maintenance.

Sometimes we get lucky and it guides us right home. Sometimes it gives us nothing. In the big picture of things, you are also eliminating items also as we go through things.

Also, as I look through the TSB while you are doing certain checks, sometimes they have codes and information that we use also. I guess what I am saying is I check several different areas looking for any info that may help you out and get you going.

Some AZs and Ors will not even check I am told if the light isn't on. So in my world, I tell them it came on then went off. Some let you check them yourself. I am sure you could. Just don't start the car with the scanner hooked up. Just turn it on where the dash lights all come on.

Do the WD40 thing first to save you a trip if that works.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Have a good evening.
Monday, March 16th, 2009 AT 9:30 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

By the way, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_recalls_3.jpg

Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 AT 10:13 PM