• julie0421
  • 2003 Volkswagen Jetta

2003 Volkswagen Jetta 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 103, 00 miles

When driving home, I heard loug "pop", every light on panel came on, car died completely. I guided it off the road and had it towed to shop. Timing belt broken. How much of a chance that something else was damaged in engine? How expensive will repairs be?

Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 12:30 PM

• justin freed

It all depends on whether or not the engine is what is known as an "interference" engine. In some engines, there is no clearance between the valves and the piston. If the valve stays open while the piston moves up (as might happen when the timing belt breaks) then the valve and piston head will collide - resulting in a bent valve or a hole punched into the top of the piston or both or worse. So, if you have an interference-type engine, expect higher repair costs.
That being said, I am not a VW expert and can't tell you if your specific engine is an interference type or not. A good, honest mechanic will be upfront with you.

Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 3:32 PM