CAR BATTERY WILL NOT HOLD A CHARGE

2002 Volkswagen Jetta

debdva66

March, 22, 2009 AT 2:04 PM

2002 Volkswagen Jetta 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 119000 miles

I have gone through 6 batteries in less than a year. The car can be jumped and if charged for about 5 hours will last about a week before the battery is dead again.

If the car is jumped, it will run off of the alternator until I hit my next designation - as soon as the car is turned off - the battery is dead again.

I have been two 3 volkswagon dealerships - the altnernator is good - noone can identify a problem - but there is definitely a problem.

I had a new stereo system put in and thought that something might have happen then - have had two audio companies do a diagnostic - and still nothing. The stereo and wiring have been completely taken out of the car - yet, I still have the same problem.

I am lost on what to do at this point. Does anyone out there know what is wrong with my car!

Debbie

Docfixit

March, 23, 2009 AT 9:12 AM

Hi
There must be a circuit on with key off. Likely suspects trunk light, glove box light, vanity mirror.
Need to have a battery drain test done surprised that has not been done. Place an AMP meter in series with battery if it reads more than.5amp then there is a drain. You pull out one fuse at a time till meter falls. When it does that is the circuit then make repair.

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement