Need a fuse box diagram

DAWQUILTS
  • 1997 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA

Four cylinder two wheel drive manual 102,000 miles.

I do not have an owners guide, so need a diagram for fuse box.

I would also like to disconnect the car alarm permanently, can you help with that?

Thanks!
Denise

Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 12:45 PM

IMPALASS

Hello Denise,

I have attached the information on the fuses.

Also, if you need more info please indicate your engine by liter 1.8L, 1.9L, or 2.0. Also, is the model a GL, GLS, GLX, GT or TDI?

As for the alarm I would prefer to have the above information first to make sure I had the correct vehicle to review.

If I may ask, what is the reason you want to disconnect the alarm system? Is it not working correctly? something we may be able to assist with fixing?

There is more larger diagrams (below).

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_1_103.jpg

Fuse locations for options not shown can be found in the corresponding wiring diagrams.
Amp.

1 - Headlight, Low Beam, Left (56b) 10
2 - Headlight, Low Beam, Right (56b) 10
3 - License Plate Lights (58) 10
4 - Rear Window Wiper And Washer System 15
5 - Windshield Wiper/Washer 15
6 - Fresh Air Blower, A/C (X) 20
7 - Tail Lights, Right (58R) 10
8 - Tail Lights, Left (58L) 10
9 - Rear Window Defogger 20
10 - Fog Lights 15
11 - Headlight, High Beam, Left (56a) 10
12 - Headlight, High Beam, Right (56a) 10
13 - Horn (15) 10
14 - Back-Up Lights 10
15 - Engine Electronics (15) 10
16 - Power Sunroof, Front Map/Reading Light 15
17 - Emergency Flashers (15) 10
18 - Fuel Pump (FP), Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S)
Control Module 20
19 - Coolant Fan, A/C Relay (30) 30
20 - Brake Lights (30) 10
21 - Interior Lights, Clock, Luggage Compartment
Light (30) 15
22 - Cigarette Lighter, Radio, Luggage Compartment
Release 10

Separate Fuses

(Located above the relays)

- Fuse for ABS hydraulic pump relay 30
- Fuse for ABS main relay 30
- Fuse for A/C 30
- Fuse for power windows 20
- Fuse for cruise control 5
- Fuse for cigarette lighter 15

In the engine compartment above the brake booster:

- Glow plugs 50.

Note: The Glow plug fuse should be changed by your authorized Volkswagen dealer only.

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers

Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 9:48 PM
DAWQUILTS

The alarm is totally annoying it goes off intermittently, and sometimes after I have gotten in the car, put on my seat belt, turned the key. The only way to turn it off is to get out of the car, close the drivers door, turn the key (in the outside of the drivers door) counter-clockwise. I live in the "student ghetto" and the alarm annoys everyone living around me, as well. I use a "club" to keep the car from being stolen. I do not want the alarm functioning! If you can help, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks

Sunday, December 7th, 2008 AT 8:50 AM
IMPALASS

Well I totally understand that it is annoying.

If the alarm system could be fixed for little to nothing would that be okay or you just want it disconnected period?

Has it always done this or just started and if so how long?

While I am checking to see if it can be disconnected without changing the function of the car/computer etc.

If you would though could you check the fuses at spot 21 and 22. I do not know if you have an ohm meter that would be the best way. But if one or both are missing or if they are bad, please let me know as this will cause the alarm to act up.

Next, if one or both are missing please install a 15amp in 21 and a 10amp in 22. If they are there and you do not have an ohm meter to check them with, I would still rather you replace them.

Once you have installed or replaced, then cycle the key in the drivers door to reset the alarm system.

This may fix your problem. In the mean time, I will look through the wiring diagrams to see what can be done.

Also, if you would, please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Rielly's (or) and for free they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you do not get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. The alarm system may have thrown a code which will help us out too. While there for free also they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter. It is getting winter so might as well make sure those are working just fine.

Let me know and we will try to get this fixed or shut off as soon as possible.

Sunday, December 7th, 2008 AT 5:39 PM
IMPALASS

Oh Denise,

Forgot one thing!

Looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Picture1_27.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Picture2_25.jpg

+2
Sunday, December 7th, 2008 AT 5:44 PM
DAWQUILTS

Thanks for the input. 1) checked both fuses, with an ohm meter and both are there and good.
2) I would like to disconnect the alarm permanently, as I use an alternate means of anti-theft protection.
3) I do not know if the alarm has always malfunctioned; I just bought the car it has acted like this since I have had it. The previous owner has moved to San Francisco and I cannot ask him questions.
Thanks again for your help!
Denise
P. S. I do have a mechanically-apt person helping me with this issue, so if you give me (him) instructions on how to disconnect the alarm permanently, he can do it.

Sunday, December 7th, 2008 AT 5:47 PM
IMPALASS

Denise,

As I am searching for information on this I am asked for different digits on your VIN. Please provide your VIN.

Also, please look around on the car to see if anywhere on the back etc it says if it is a GL, GLS, GLX, GT or TDI.

+1
Sunday, December 7th, 2008 AT 7:15 PM
DAWQUILTS

Sorry for the delay; I have been out of town. The VIN number is 3VWWA81H6VM108361.

The only letters anywhere on the car are on the back, and say "TREK."

if you can assist us in permanently disconnecting the alarm on this car, we will make another donation. It is driving us crazy!

Thanks for your help!

-1
Thursday, December 18th, 2008 AT 11:19 PM
IMPALASS

No problem on the delay. I hope you had a nice time out of town.

Okay, lets get down to business and see what we can do here before anyone goes crazy.

I have attached several pictures that you are going to refer to.

We are trying to get to the Alarm System Control Module J284.

It is supposed to be located on the drivers side, behind a bracket on the left A-pillar.

I have attached the manuals directions to get to it.

Remove driver's side instrument panel trim.
Disconnect 6-pin and 10-pin connectors from alarm system control module -J284-, located behind bracket on left A-pillar.

It will have two connectors on a 6 pin connector and a 10 pin connector. It may be silver, black or even white in color.

Unplug both of them. Review the wire colors on the chart to assist.

Now look at the 6 pin connector. The 6 pin connector has two large gauge red or red/black wires. Refer to the wiring diagram. You need to jumper the wires together and then I would tape it so it does not come loose. If it does you may not be able to start the car.

Once you do this, this should bypass the alarm's starter kill function, and disable the alarm.

Try to start the car.

Please note the key-less functions will no longer work as well.

Let me know if this works.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Alarm_1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Alarm_2_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Alarm_4_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Alarm_5_1.gif

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Alarm_6_1.jpg

+6
Friday, December 19th, 2008 AT 1:39 AM
JIMVDUB

Would this apply to a 1997 GT? And also would a low/malfunctioning battery cause alarms and sputtering starting/hard starting?

Thursday, May 11th, 2017 AT 12:09 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Yes on both counts. You can test the battery using this guide here now.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Saturday, May 13th, 2017 AT 5:42 PM