ENGINE IS LEAKING OIL, HOW DO I REPAIR

2002 Volkswagen GTI

house187

August, 25, 2009 AT 5:41 PM

2002 Volkswagen GTI 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 133000 miles

My 2002 GTI 1.8T is leaking oil from the engine, I thaught it might have been leaking from the oil pan gasket, due to the fact that I wiped the pan down and watched the oil seap along the seal.

I replaced the oil pan gasket and placed silicone underneath just as an extra seal. Well not 10 min after changing the gasket it started leaking again.

I know its not the oil pan, it looks like its comming from the right hand sinde right above the oil pan. I think its the crank pully, it is a side engine so im guessing its called the forward main seal.

now if it is that how do I replace it, I need to be pointed in the right direction with detailed instructions as I am very new to the car repair game.
if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Even if you could send me to the right web side inorder to fix this problem.

Thanks a bunch

Oil Leak From Engine

pear69

August, 26, 2009 AT 12:58 AM

Welcome to the game. Changing that seal involves several steps and may require tools that you do not have. My advice to you is to purchase a car repair manual for your car and you will have a better understanding of what is involved. These manuals are cheap and they have priceless information and specific to your car. Even if you must take your car to a mechanic, these manuals will arm you with information that you would likely not have.

Removing Stripped Drain Plug
Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front