1996 Volkswagen GTI How to replace rear break pads

96GTI888
  • 1996 VOLKSWAGEN GTI
I had a problem replacing the rear break pads on my 96 gti and I was hoping if you guys can help
Friday, March 20th, 2009 AT 1:20 AM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
REMOVAL:
Raise and safely support the vehicle and remove the rear wheels.
Remove a sufficient quantity of brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir to prevent it from over flowing when installing the pads. This is necessary as the caliper piston must be forced into the cylinder bore to provide sufficient clearance to install new pads.
Remove the parking brake cable clip from the caliper. Disconnect the parking brake cable.
Hold the guide pin with a back-up wrench and remove the upper mounting bolt from the brake caliper.
Swing the caliper downward and remove the brake pads.
Check the rotor for scoring and resurface or replace as necessary. Check the caliper for fluid leaks or a damaged dust seal. If any damage is found, the caliper will require overhauling or replacement.

INSTALLATION:
Retract the piston into the housing by rotating the piston clockwise.
Carefully clean the anchor plate and install the new brake pads onto the pad carrier.
Install the caliper to the pad carrier using a new self locking bolt or a thread locking compound and tighten to 26 ft. Lbs. (35 Nm).
Attach the hand brake cable to the caliper. It may be necessary to back off the adjustment nuts at the hand brake handle.
Fill the reservoir with brake fluid and pump the brake pedal about 40 times with the engine off to set the piston. Setting the piston with the power assist could cause the piston to jam.
Check the parking brake operation, adjust the cable if necessary.
Road test the vehicle.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!
Friday, March 20th, 2009 AT 1:43 AM