HARD TO SHIFT

2001 Volkswagen GLI

Brenton7785

April, 30, 2010 AT 8:10 PM

2001 Volkswagen GLI 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 82000 miles

I recently am having a problem shifting in any gear but especially reverse it actually will jump when putting into reverse other gears it won't but it's really stiff getting into gear please anyone experience this please help I'm a single dad of 2 and only transportation I can most likely fix myself just need someone with same problem and a resolution possibly a slave cylinder or throwout bearing I'm thinking. Thanks to all in advance

mathiaso

May, 1, 2010 AT 2:10 AM

Hello Brenton7785

When a transmission jumps out of gear, it may be due to a bent, binding or loose shift linkage, a loose transmission or clutch housing, worn or damaged input shaft bearings, broken motor mount, worn tapered gear teeth or synchronizer hub splines, loose shifter fork or rails, interlock hardware that is broken or missing, or excessive end play or runout in the output shaft or countergear.
Check the fluid level and quality when transmission is hot and engine at idle. If low, check for leak.
Check around slave and master cylinder for leak

mathiaso

May, 1, 2010 AT 9:12 PM

Does this happens when engine is cold and improve when engine warms up? When last time you change the transmission fluid?
Check fluid level when engine is hot and idling, any sign of leak around slave or master cylinder?

Need those answers so we can continue.

Brenton7785

May, 1, 2010 AT 11:45 PM

This is manual transmission and no when it's cold or hot it still is hard to get into gear I checked for leaks there are zero I tried shifting gears while engine is off and it's much easier than when the engine is on but like I said before the only gear that's really hard to get in is reverse and from what I've heard reverse doesn't have syncros but I could be mistaken German vehicles are different

mathiaso

May, 2, 2010 AT 6:30 AM

Check the condition of the main rod bushing. This is a plastic bearing protected by a rubber boot just behind the shift rod clamp.
Make sure the nuts and bolts are still secure. If the bushing is broken or worn, it should be replaced. Lightly lubricate the bearing with light silicone grease and fit the boot into place. Try shifting gears again before deciding to adjust the linkage.
Tell me what happens.

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Wheel Stud Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier
CV Axle Replacement